Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 42 - Lessons Learned or Not

Day 42

Today was my long day for classes.  I had two Freshman classes this morning and the Sophomore class this afternoon.  The Freshman classes went well.  I gave them the powerpoint presentation on the Circus and then had then discuss if they thought they would like to attend one or not.  Their reasons for going, or not going were interesting.  Then they had to come up with a presentation for the class on why Shandong University is the best university in the World and why all students should come here. That was rather fun.

David had classes this morning also.  One of the girls in one of his classes came up and said to him he talks too much and that it would help her if he wrote key words on the chalkboard (yes, they still use chalk boards here).  He was a little discouraged because this is all mostly out of his comfort zone anyway.  Then he had the class monitors come over this afternoon and they pumped him up again.  He played Krypto with some of them and they had a great time.  All of this to practice English!

My afternoon class went okay.  What I had planned did not stretch out as long as I had hoped it would, so it was kind of lame toward the end.  I was searching for extra stuff that I had brought along on my jump drive and after a while, I just let them out about 5 minutes early.  They don’t like you to do that, but when I see their eyes glazing over, I think, “Five minutes is better than wasting their time!”


David massaged my back and shoulder and showed my some exercises to help ease the pain I am having.  The situation with the kind of desk I had to work with has aggravated my upper back problems that I was having after my car accident and I have been in a lot of pain from it for the last 2 weeks.  It helps for a little while, but the constant pain is very draining.

No comments:

Blog Archive