Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 44 - Friday Classes; First Time

Day 44

I had my last two new freshman classes today.  I got into the first class, which is in probably the newest building on campus, and tried to bring up my PowerPoint that introduced me to them, but it wouldn’t come up.  I asked for help from one of the students, because the writing is all in Chinese.  He said the version of the software on the computer is from 2003 and won’t run it. He was able to go get the building’s technology person and she came in and installed the newer version while I got the students working on another activity I had.  The rest of the class went well.  So did the second class.  I love their enthusiasm! 

David and I met after his class and went to the teacher buffet lunch that is ours for free for when we teach for 4 hours in a day.  My card did not work yet, because Eva has had problems getting the numbers to process that she needs so I can get credit for it.  We were both able to eat off of David’s card, so we did.  Most of the food was already gone, but we got enough to eat.  One of the male teachers, who were eating lunch there, talked to us and said that we had to get there earlier, but when you teach until 12, I don’t know how you get there earlier.  Anyway, most of the soups were gone, but after we sat down with what we had, one of the workers comes around with a pitcher of something warm, pours it into a bowl for each of us and then leaves.  It seemed like they were embarrassed a little that their foreign teachers did not have soup (they consider soup an essential part of a meal, they don’t usually drink anything else with a meal), that they wanted to make sure we had some.  It was so kind of them to do that.

David had some more of his class monitors come over and they talked over things for the class and he taught them some games like he did with the other group.  They all seemed to enjoy it and had a great time. 


I worked on getting my classes put in the grading program that we have and finishing up the blog posts.  Time for bed, now. 

No comments:

Blog Archive