Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Day 148 – Shenzhen

We were up early today to have a bus take all the Ji’nan teachers to the airport to catch our flight to Shenzhen, the closest city to Hong Kong and they consider it the most modern city in China.  It is also an electronics capital in the world.

We arrived about 9:45 and met our local tour guide, but we had to wait there at the airport until five more people flew in.  Once they arrived, we loaded the bus and we were taken to lunch.  We were given a lot of local dishes that were not tasty and hardly edible in some cases.  There are only so many fish with their eyes staring at me and the fins and bones all in it still that I can take.  I’m afraid that we are going to be seeing a lot of them on this trip. 
The river inside Splendid China.

The Mongolian riders in mock battle.  Reminded me of the battles on horseback the we had as kids.







I loved the tricks!
When lunch was over, we went to see Splendid China.  It is supposed to be comparable to the Polynesian Center in Hawaii, but since I haven’t been there before, I wouldn’t know.  We walked around and saw beautiful miniature scenes of the most popular and famous sites of China.  We also saw a Mongolian reenactment of a famous battle.  We took a boat ride around that they had.  It was a nice time. 
This river jumped over the fire.  We were afraid that he wasn't going to make it.

At 5:30 p.m., we met at a restaurant in Splendid China to see the cultural show that they put on.  It had all the lights, costumes, music, and entertainment that you could think of.  We really enjoyed the show.
David on the boat ride.

Albino peacocks.

Miniature village.

Miniature archway and mountain.

The water was keeping the ball up, like the dragons were playing with it.

Puppet from the show.

This scene was amazing.  She really looked like she as floating.

It was all so beautiful.



On a sad note for me, I had word from Alisa and also Jack and Allison, that my miniature horse, Tinkerbelle, was sick and wouldn’t get up.  They called a vet and she is so sick that I had to make a determination to have her put down.  That is a hard thing to do.  I know it is probably for the best, but it is still sad.  I worry about Sassy now and I will have the vet check her out to make sure that it was not something contagious.  It was not what I expected to have while I was here in China.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Zina, if you are in Shenzhen, then you are very close to my daughter, Betsey, who lives in Hong Kong. How I wish I could be there with you to show you all my favorite places! I am so excited that you get to have this great adventure! Happy Chinese New Year!

Blog Archive