Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Day 176 – Visiting Teaching and Dinner

 Nancy Pace was here at 9 a.m. so that we could go to the Hanlin Hotel and visit teach Sue Schauerhamer and Kathy Guo.  We made it a little before 10 a.m. and had a nice visit.  We were showing Kathy some of the resources that are available on the Church website for her and Hansen to use.  She is pretty excited about all that is there, especially that some of it is in Chinese. 

We stopped at Pam Carter’s room for a little bit and saw her kitten.  She had a young man come over that is doing some interpreting for her and she said that he is looking for a job in the US.  I told him about the teaching jobs that are available in Alpine School District and he sounded excited about teaching.  We gave him the information so that he can look it up and fill out the application if he wants.

As I was getting off the bus at my stop, an older woman was getting off the front of the bus.  I was in the perfect position to lend her an arm as she tried to get off the last step, so I put my hand out and helped her down.  She thanked me (in Chinese, of course) and I went on my way.  I notice some chatter behind me, but it was in Chinese, so I didn't turn around until a hand touched my arm.  It was the woman I had helped off the bus!  She wanted to talk to me, but the language barrier is a real stumbling block.  I was able to tell her that I teach at Shandong University and she seemed concerned as to where I was going (since there are seven different campuses across the city, I can understand her concern).  She wanted to walk with me to the corner and when I got there, I had a green light, so we quickly parted ways.   

I made it home by noon.  David was out getting copies made for his classes and we had lunch when he got back.  The Schauerhamer’s and the Clarke’s and Pam arrived here about 5:15 and we left for the restaurant about 20 minutes later.  This was a restaurant that serves things western style and had some really good steaks.  We went there last December with Eric, who I helped prepare for an interview he had with a college in the US.  We met Eva along the way and the Pace’s were there at the restaurant waiting for us.  It turned out to be a really good thing that Eva came with us so that she could interpret for us to get our ordering done. 


It was a good meal and we had a good time.  The Clarke’s walked back home with us because they had left a bag of food here.  We stopped at the Foreign Students building and got an ice cream for dessert.

No comments:

Blog Archive