Friday, November 1, 2013

Day 65 - Halloween Wishes, Dates and Persimmons

Day 65

Rainy and cold today.  David and I both taught this morning.  I am enjoying these freshman classes so much!  They are just a joy to be around and they have such a great desire to learn.  All of our classes went well. 

I had this email when I checked my school email this morning.
                Dear Professor Zina Cox,
  Happy Halloween!
  I believe there must be many people sending their wishes to you including our students.You just like our grandma and we think you must regard us as your grandchildren too.I believe we will make up a warm family.
                                         Best wishes,
                                                       Liai

Is there a better way to start a day?!!  I had many text messages and email sent to me last night to wish me a “Happy Halloween!”  Liai and the girls in her class started it.

We had lunch here and then did school work.  The workmen came back about 3 p.m. and finished the electrical work in the bathroom.  Hot water for our showers will be welcome in the morning.  We met Stan and Nancy Pace at the canteen and had dinner in the teacher restaurant.  We can use our cards there that the school gives us for our free lunches.  It takes a little more than the one meal we get for the buffet, but the food is warm and we have a lot more variety.  We ordered a soup that was too spicy.  We thought we were getting a tomato soup, but I guess the Chinese characters I had didn’t match what they needed.  The rest of the meal was correct and yummy and warm! 

We came back to our apartment and played some games and talked about out classes.  It is funny how you get a bunch of teachers in a room and all they want to talk about it teaching…  We walked them to the gate when it was time for them to go and then we walked over to Uni-Mart and bought some bread and drinkable yogurt.  It was a good day.

I have tried two new fruits (for me new anyway) lately.  The first one is dates!  They are fresh and not dried.  They have a taste somewhere between an apple and a pear. 

A small tasty treat... dates!



The other fruit is a persimmon!  The girl that I tutor on Monday mornings brought me some.  So yummy!  I think they are sweeter than peaches.  Don’t know how I am going to go back to Utah and not have these two available to eat fresh like they are here!

Persimmon!

No comments:

Blog Archive