Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Day 260 – Chinese Physical Therapy


Monday is my early day, so I had to get the bus at 7 a.m.  It was a little more crowded than usual, but I was able to get a seat after the second stop.  It is a long, long ride if you have to stand the whole way, and I am not supposed to do that with my DVT.  My classes went well. 

On my way to my second class, Lulu Pilson (the girl from South Africa that is a member of the Church), saw me and walked to my second class with me.  She had to miss Church yesterday because of classes that she had to take then.  We had a good little visit.

I had forgotten my bus pass, so I had to use cash to pay for the bus.  I had three five Jiao (compare to half a dollar), two Yuan and two five Yuan bills.  The bus that I take costs two Yuan, so I needed four Yuan to get there and back.  I used one Yuan and two of the five Jiao for the bus ride there, thinking that I would see of one of the students could change a five Yuan for me so I could get home.   The buses do not give change.  I forgot to ask the students, so I was wondering what to do.  There are some food stands close to the campus gate, but I didn’t know if they would have anything that would give me the one Yuan change that I needed.

There happens to be a little guard house on the way out of campus, and the guard there is always so friendly and says, “Hello,” to me all the time, not just, “Ni hao.  As I passed by and he greeted me, I decided to see if he would have change.  After some struggle, I was able to convey that I need the change so that I could get the bus home.  He reaches into his back pocket, pulls out a folded one Yuan and gives it to me, indicating that he was giving it to me and to not worry about it.  He is so kind!  Think I’ll bake him some cookies or banana bread.

By the time I got home, we had exactly 25 minutes before we had to leave again to go to my doctor appointments.  After a quick lunch, we got the bus and arrived at the hospital the same time the Dr. Tricia did.  As we sat in the office waiting for the other doctors to become available, she had David cut open one of the three watermelons that she had sitting on her desk.  That was a good watermelon!  We ate about half of it between the three of us and then it was time to go meet with the cardiovascular surgeon.

The appointment with him went well.  My INR number was down, but he thinks that we need to wait two weeks to see what it does before he changes the dose.  In his facial features, he reminds me of Randy.  He knows some English and he can ask me the questions that he needs to ask, with only a little translation from Dr. Tricia.

After that, we went to see the orthopedic surgeon.  He is an older guy that is quite the character.  He likes to joke around and is very personable, but it is all in Chinese.  He always seems to have something to tease Dr. Tricia about.  The pain in my right knee had gone down, but it was still bothering me a lot.  Since I can’t take the usual anti-inflammatories that they would prescribe, he suggested some physical therapy.  I decided to try it, thinking about physical therapy that I get in the US. 

I went down the hall with Dr. Tricia to the Physical Therapy room.  This therapy is an electric shock therapy.  She applied a small amount of gel to my leg at the sorest spot and then pointed the electric “gun” at my knee and started the shocking treatment.  It was a little painful and I had to tolerate as a much pain as I could so that the therapy would work.  After five minutes of torture, she declared that I was done.  Dr. Tricia had to go back to her office, but left a young man that speaks a little English there with me so that he could explain things to me that the therapist needed to tell me. 

David had to leave before I finished with all the appointments so that he could be back to the campus to play football with his students.  I made my way back on my own.


Stan and Nancy Pace were coming to an activity on our campus that their students had invited them to, so we made them dinner.  Nancy teaches a late class, so they were pressed for time to get here when it started.  We went along with them to the activity.  The Pace’s teach under the department of foreign languages, so the student show was singing in several languages.  There were enough English songs that we understood it, but they had a lot of pop songs that we didn’t care for.  It was also very hot in the auditorium so we were especially glad to get out of there when it was over.

No comments:

Blog Archive