Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 194 – POP! Goes the Radiator!


My first class was in the middle of the vocabulary quiz that we do the first thing in class and suddenly I hear a POP and then there is water spraying all over several of my students that were sitting near the radiator!  The boys were scrambling to get away from it, especially because it was hot water!  I knew what to do, but didn’t know if they would understand in the panic of the moment what I was saying, but I pointed to one boy and said, “Go get the building supervisor!”  He looked at me for two seconds and then took off at a run out of the room.  One boy was pretty soaked, but I guess the water wasn’t too hot because he didn’t seem injured.  His jacket (a nice one) was very wet though.  The students all started moving away from the area and the supervisor came in and looked at it.  Then he left to get someone else.  They got the water turned off so that it wasn’t spraying anymore, just leaking all over the floor.

I asked the student who had run for the supervisor to go and ask if there was another room that we could go to, so they found one across the hall, and we moved in there and settled down for the rest of the class.  A pretty exciting way to start the day!

I have been teaching the students some simple songs to help with their English.  We have been having fun with them.  I have a song that I sing whenever it snows and I taught that to them last week.  This week, I taught them the song, Smiles.  They seem to have as much fun learning it as I have teaching it. 

After working on class stuff and lessons for next week during the afternoon, we left a little before 5 p.m. so we could meet with the other BYU teachers and Simon, Kathy and Hansen Tan.  It was a little bit of a sad occasion.  The Schauerhamer’s need to go home because of some health issues that have come up, so we had a farewell dinner together.  We went to a Pizza Hut that was close to their campus for dinner and then back to the Purnell’s apartment for some ice cream and cookies.  We are sad to see them go; it feels like we are losing part of our family.  We have grown close to each of the people from the CTP program here in Ji'nan, so having them leave is leaving a hole in our hearts.  I’m so grateful to have come to know them and the wonderful people that they are.  I hope that the doctors in the US can help get Steve better.


As we were walking home, we noticed a large group of students by the flagpole near the gate where we usually enter the campus.   We walked by them and I said to David, “Those look like some of my students.”  We looked a little closer and it was!  It was my Friday morning class that meets from 10 to noon!  We stopped and talked for a few minutes.  They wanted to get a picture of us, so we stood close together and put our arms around each other’s backs like we usually do, and they all went, “Oooooh,” so I said to David, “Let’s give them a kiss, too.”  That really sent the crowd wild!  They were slow getting a picture, so we did it again and they loved it again!  Such fun kids to be around!!  

No comments:

Blog Archive