Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Day 229 – Blood Clots and Leg Infection!


David and I both had our classes to teach today.  My classes all went well and they had fun watching the movie.

We had decided to have lunch with Jim and Wendy Purnell.  We needed some advice on things that had happened on the Yangtze River Cruise.  They wanted to eat at the Italian Restaurant that we had eaten at last week, so we met them on the South Gate of campus and we walked over to “Lydia’s” together.  We had a nice lunch and we got the advice we needed.  They came back to our apartment with us because they had never been here and we continued to visit.  Just before they left, I decided to ask Wendy about my leg.  She is a nurse.  It had continued to get more tender and kept swelling and getting more painful.

Wendy saw how red part of my leg in the front was and when she felt it and noticed how hot it was, she suggested that I get to the doctor right away.  They gave us the phone number of Dr. Tricia.  She has treated BYU teachers for many things and most of them know her. We had not met her, but when I told her who I was and who had given me her number, she told me to come right over to the hospital.  I was thinking that we would walk to the bus and catch it to get to the hospital that she works at, but David decided we would be faster if we took a taxi. 

As soon as we arrived, we were ushered to the elevator and told to get off at the 5th floor.  When the nurses saw us, they took us right to Dr. Tricia’s office.  There she had asked an orthopedic surgeon to meet her and look at my leg.  He thought I had a lymph node infection, but also suggested that a cardio vascular surgeon should look at it, too.  Dr. Tricia speaks English quite well, but her specialty is geriatric neurology.  She tried to get the head cardio vascular surgeon to see me, but he was out of town and the next guy in line was in a meeting and would not leave the meeting to come look at me.  She was able to ask a young cardio vascular surgeon to take a look and he suspected that I had DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis). BLOOD CLOTS!

I was taken to a hospital room and told to lie down and not get up.  Okay…  Hmmmm….  To determine if that is what I had for certain, I would need an ultrasound on my leg.  This young surgeon, Dr. Wang, Dr. Tricia and David wheeled me over to a different building, pushing that bed I had been told to lay down in, where there was an ultrasound machine.  That was a long ride. 

When we arrived at the ultrasound building and went up to the third floor, they first stopped outside of the EKG room and did an EKG right there in the hall.  I was grateful that this was after hours so that there weren’t a lot of people around.  There is no dignity left in a hospital anyway…  The EKG did not show any problems with my heart, so it was on to the ultrasound room.

At the ultrasound, the worst of our fears were confirmed when they found at least one clot in the calf of my leg.  There was one good thing about it, Dr. Wang said; it was the best case scenario that you could find of DVT!  It was still in the muscle are and not in a larger vein.  

I was wheeled back in the bed through the parking lot and back to my room where I am to be for the next seven to ten days.  We are hoping for the seven days. 

When I was back in the room, Dr. Tricia and Dr. Wang went into the office with David to explain to him how things would work.  I was alone in the room to think and worry for the next hour.  I tried to control the tears, but my eyes kept leaking. 

We called Jim and Wendy Purnell and they came over with some food.  Dr. Tricia also ordered some food for us as she had not eaten any supper either.  Fortunately, there is a small frig in the room where we can keep some food.  Jim and David gave me a blessing and I felt a little better. 

Dr. Tricia did several favors for us.  China’s health care system is “pay-as-you-go.”  You have to set up an account that all of your expenses will be taken out of.  If you go over what is in your account, your medications and treatments are withheld until you put more money in.  We had put down 1000 RMB, not knowing how much is was all going to cost, but by the time I had the ultrasound, two heparin shots, blood tests, an antibiotic and paid for the room and a few other things, the money was all gone and we had gone over about 300 RMB.  They were going to refuse to give me anymore treatment until we got more money in there, but Dr. Tricia was very forceful with them and said that they had to because I was now an admitted patient.  I think it was kind of like, she as guaranteeing that we would pay.

I was also put into a room that was a “VIP” suite and would normally cost 200 RMB per day, but she talked the head nurse, who is in charge of things like that, to only charge the smallest rate; 70 RMB per day. My nurse is SUN Fang, she knows a little English and tries to speak with us.


When I was all “settled” for the night, Dr. Tricia made sure that David was put in a taxi to take him home.  She was on duty tonight, so she was able to check on me when she came back to let me know that he was on his way home.  My prayer: OH HELP!

No comments:

Blog Archive